It was a pretty busy 2012 here at Full Sail. We covered dozens of events, guest lectures, and showcases every week in our This Week at Full Sail posts, and as we’ve looked back over the past couple of weeks, we’ve come up with a list of some of the most notable guests that made their way to our campus last year. Check them out below, and let us know in the comments who you’d like to spot on Full Sail’s campus in 2013.
- Johnny Earle, the man behind the popular clothing line Johnny Cupcakes, brought his Cupcakes from the Crypt pop-up shop tour to the Full Sail Live Venue, and lectured students about his career. Video.
- We teamed up with the WWE to bring tapings of the sports entertainment company’s NXT series to the Full Sail Live Venue. WWE Superstars that appeared here this year included CM Punk, Triple H, John Cena, and more. Story.
- The Orlando Magic’s Glen “Big Baby” Davis filmed promotional videos for his website in one of our soundstages. And in other Orlando Magic-related news, students got to sing the national anthem at two separate Magic games last season. Video.
- British rock band The Chevin performed their single “Champion” during an ESPN shoot on one of our soundstages. Other ESPN shoots filmed on or near campus this year included intro sequences for the UEFA Soccer Cup and the 2012 NBA Finals. Video.
- It was a successful year for Red Bull Records band AWOLNATION, and its keyboardist/guitarist Kenny Carkeet, who’s a Full Sail grad, made it to campus a couple of times to talk to students about his career path. Story.
- Legendary R&B group Boyz II Men filmed the music video for their single “One More Dance” on campus earlier this year, off their latest album, Twenty. Video.
- Other notable pop stars on campus: Howie D. from the Backstreet Boys, who recorded his part of a brand new Christmas song in the Audio Temple (Story), and 80s pop icon Debbie Gibson, who talked to students about her career. Story.
Boyz II Men
- Full Sail grad Darren Lynn Bousman, who directed Saw II, Saw III, and Saw IV brought a copy of his latest movie, The Devil’s Carnival, to Full Sail’s Dub Stage for a private screening and Q&A session with select students. Story.
- Sylvia Massy, who’s produced artists such as Tool, Tom Petty, and The Red Hot Chili Peppers, came to campus to talk to students about working in the recording industry. Story.
- Film producer Cherylanne Martin (she won an EMMY for her work on the HBO miniseries The Pacific and recently executive produced the Denzel Washington movie Flight) visited campus to speak and answer questions about her career. Video.
- Show Production grad Ryan Luistro went from finishing his final project on campus to working as an audio tech on the 2012 Vans Warped Tour. We were a major sponsor of the tour for the first time ever, presenting the brand new Acoustic Basement stage. Video.
2012 Vans Warped Tour
- And not technically on campus, but close enough: our faculty, staff, and students showed off some of their artwork when Full Sail took over the Orlando Museum of Art for its monthly First Thursdays event in May. Photos.