Our Year in Review series features the best of life at Full Sail in 2014, highlighting award-winning grads, student work, industry guests, and more.
One of the perks of being on campus is getting to take part in the industry events and presentations that Full Sail’s various departments host every month. (Online students have the opportunity to stream many of these events too!) This year didn’t disappoint – Academy Award winners, Billboard chart-topping artists, and NFL quarterbacks were just a few of the guests that stopped by. Check out some of the highlights below.
- Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton (pictured above) toured campus and played in a Madden NFL 15 tournament in Full Sail Live, which was hosted by EA Sports to promote the game’s release. Story.
- Before his sold-out performance at Orlando’s Plaza Live Theatre, rapper/producer G-Eazy talked to students about his success and his brand. Other artists that stopped by campus this year included T.O.K., Fat Trel, James Blunt, Andy Grammer, Oh Honey, Joell Ortiz, Caskey, and Mayday Parade. Photos.
- Full Sail’s Fifth Annual Hall of Fame Celebration packed more than 50 industry panels into three busy days. Notable guests included singer Nelly Furtado, actors John O’Hurley and Rob Schneider, and Warped Tour founder Kevin Lyman. The Hall of Fame Music Festival on the Backlot featured sets from the Sollilaquists of Sound, Jeremy Ellis, and more. If you missed it, several of the performances and lectures are available to view over on our YouTube channel. Videos.
- WWE continued filming episodes of their popular NXT series on campus, and this year, with the debut of the WWE Network, the first ever live NXT event was broadcast from Full Sail Live. Story.
- Full Sail’s Career Development department brought several companies to campus to meet with students from across all degree programs about internship and employment opportunities. Highlights included ESPN, PlayStation, Walt Disney Animation Studios, Bunim/Murray Productions, and IBM Designs. Story.
- Even though Disney’s Frozen was released in 2013, it was still everywhere this year – and its soundtrack became the highest-selling one of all time. Rob Souriall, the Disney Music Group’s Vice President of Marketing, stopped by campus to talk to students about how his team marketed the movie’s music. Story.
- Actor and comedian Rob Schneider (best known for Saturday Night Live and The Waterboy) shot 13 episodes of his new series, Real Rob, on Full’s Sail’s campus. Twenty-seven students and grads worked on the crew, with dozens more serving as extras during a stand-up performance filmed for the show. Photos.
- Rock supergroup The Empty Hearts (featuring members of Blondie and The Cars) filmed the music video for their single “90 Miles an Hour” in the Full Sail Live Venue. Over on of Full Sail’s soundstages, Film grad Jay Tauzin (he’s worked with Nicki Minaj, Lil Wayne, and Kendrick Lamar) returned to campus to shoot a music video for R&B singer Leilani Wolfgramm. Photos.
- While in town for the Florida Film Festival, Academy Award-winning sound mixer Ron Judkins (Jurassic Park, Saving Private Ryan) took part in a GPS Green Room session with select students, and then invited them all to a screening of his new film later that evening. Story.
- The Entertainment Business, Music Business, and Sports Marketing & Media departments invited students in Full Sail’s online business degree programs to Full Sail for Campus Connection, a two-day event featuring guest lectures (including a keynote presentation from People magazine staff writer Steve Helling), workshops, and networking opportunities with campus students. Story.